Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Brain's Motivation Station.

How do we really know what motivates people? Is it really as subjective as people speculate?


Motivation in the human brain is really quite simple - the motivation for performance by choice is directly influenced by reward areas of the mesolimbic region as well as the learning-related hippocampus in the medial temporal lobe of the brain. This means that when we need to recall something for later use, our motivation to do so is directly influenced by the reward for us doing it. Low reward = low motivation. High reward = high motivation.


Recent studies have shown that even the anticipation of a desired reward can have teh same motivation value as actually recieveing it.


Now, here's the rub - just when we think motivation is as simple as reward - the perception of reward is solely defined by the recipient and is based on their biology, their experiences and their learning. Sometimes they don't even know what it is! Ever have one of those days when you feel jazzed by a job well done? That's the satisfaction of reward that drives your motivation. Now try to figure out exactly what got you there so you can repeat it? Good luck in defining it.


So, in motivating others, get them to reflect on times they felt most satisfied at work. Map what they are doing as similar to that time and let them at it. Recalling the satisfaction of their reward, fosters anticipation of receiving it again, which fuels motiavtion.


Now, if they have never felt that way? Good luck....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess there are exceptions to every rule. An example would be on how people are motivated. For example, most will eat things that isn't healthy. They rather choose to eat something that is quick or tasty. What's different than the reward of good health and compliment, is that good health can take some time whereas compliments are immediate.

Compliments do very little to motivate me now as I have gotten older. However, I had a unique experience with a boss, Harry, in 1987 that I will never forget.

It was my first time in auto sales and I haven't sold a car in my first 3 weeks. Anytime I mentioned my concern, Harry shunned it off as if there was no concern, mentioning I'd do just fine. Over the next week, he kept encouraging me and telling me what I was doing right rather than telling me to do what was wrong. It's not what he said, but how he said thing, with total respect. Within the next month, and every month after that, I was the top salesman, and best employee.

Great article Janet, thank you.